Skip to main content

Route 32 Walt's Speedometer

 




It was late afternoon in Albany, NY. I was riding the four speed Evo; Levi had his Sporty; both Mike and Walt were riding clean Shovels. The plan was this: we were gonna run south down route 32, make a few miles, then maybe stop at some juke joint or tavern, but closer to home. Once we got out of the city, the road opened up, and the throttle hands got looser. We were doing maybe 60 mph, in a tight pack of four, and we'd roll up behind some sedan doing 55, and most times, with plenty of room to pass, we'd give 'em a little gas, and just blast right on by. But each time we did that, we'd gain a little speed, and pretty soon we were kind of hammering down the highway, maybe 70 or 75. And I could see in my mirror, Walt was dropping back. He'll catch up, I'm thinkin', he's probably just not used to that kind of riding. So anyway, I'm watching Walt in the mirror, and he's back there maybe 50 yards…then I look again, he's still with us, but maybe back 100 yards…then maybe 150. But I could still see him. And we run up behind a truck…no passing zone, and we lose our momentum. And here comes Walt. And after that we kind of got into a more "normal" riding pattern, and still heading south, we stopped for a cold one.

So I asked Walt, "…how come you dropped back?" 
"You guys were doing a hundred miles an hour," he said. He exclaimed it. 
"Whoa, Walt," I said. "We were only doing maybe seventy…seventy-five…"
"My speedometer was reading one hundred miles an hour," he said.
"No Way."

Turns out later, we come to find out that Walt had bought a new speedometer drive unit, but not from Harley. He bought one from an aftermarket, better known as Taiwan Ted, and after much introspective conversation, Walt came to think that maybe he got the one with the wrong ratio. 100mph... not that day.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sturgis to Hallelujah Junction

I'm glad the tequila is gone.  Said goodbye to Mike and LuAnn and headed south into the Black Hills:  Custer State Park.  Rode the "Wildlife Loop" and saw a couple of antelope and buffalo.  Rode through the town of Custer:  a clusterfuck of tourists, traffic, bikers, and folks dressed up as pioneers. Hah…folks dressed up as bikers. I waited for the same traffic light four times!  Glad to get out of there.  Gassed up in Newcastle, Wyoming, and took route 450 to Wright, desolate, nothing but antelope for 70 miles, and hot ninety five degrees.  Made it to Casper just before the rain.   Had a dream my tooth fell out.  Woke up and it was still there.  Route 220 out of Casper, lots of antelope, and 287 to Rawlins, where we found I 80 west.  Crossed the Continental Divide three times:  once on 220, once on 287, and once on I 80.  Temps. on the high prairie ranged in the high 80's, but once we descended into Salt Lake City,...

Albany Helmet Protests in the 1980s

  Some of the best rides in New York State, in the 1980’s were the ABATE sponsored helmet protests. There was usually a designated camping area and riders made it a weekend event. The pack, consisting of several hundred bikes would meet on Monday in the huge parking lot near Taft Furniture,  and the helmetless parade would ride Central Avenue into Albany, the capitol, where speeches and meetings with politicians took place. The whole event had a festive mood; I never saw animosity. After the event, folks put their helmets back on and rode home with a feeling of accomplishment and camaraderie.

First Ride To Sturgis

It was our first ride to Sturgis on the new Superglide and we rode through torrential down pours, truck gauntlets, Chicago traffic jams, unrelenting midwest sunglare and crossed the mighty Mississippi. We’d set our daily limit at 500 miles per day, an easy goal west of the Mississippi; we spent our first Sturgis night in Wall. Badlands was spectacular, but hot and dry, so we headed west looking for a bar. In New Underwood, we found “The Worlds Smallest Biker Bar,” a friendly place where the bartender held coins between her cheeks and dropped them into a cup.