Skip to main content

Steamboat to Wellsville


East on 40 out of Steamboat, over Rabbit Ears Pass, and route 14, an hour to Walden, CO, remote.  Went over Cameron Pass (10,276'), and down along the river: Cache La Poudre, and the Fort Collins area; route 14 stretched out over the plains for a hundred miles to the next real town.  We watched a threatening dark to the east, dead ahead, loom, darken, and splatter us with big drops, just as we pulled into Sterling.  Refuge in a gas station, then a nearby Wal-Mart.  When we got a motel room, there were warning signs at the desk about high nitrates in the water.  Warning signs at the hotel desk. The girl there said it was from fertilizer seeping into the ground water.  Another girl warned us about the uranium from the mines.  They all had a nice glow.  Chernobyl Glow.  We watched the weather channel and it didn't look good:  half-dollar sized hail was falling nearby.  So we drank beer.


Interstate 76 in Colorado runs smack into Interstate 80.  80 on 80, through Nebraska, running from the rain we lost an hour: Central Time.  Crossed into Iowa for some hot stop and go rush hour traffic in Omaha.  We wanted to spend the night in Des Moines, but we got the word that the state fair was there, and rooms would be rare and expensive.  So we opted to get away from the Interstate, and go to the Super 8 in Atlantic, Iowa, right next to a steakhouse.  Iowa beef is the best!  After dinner, we wandered across the highway to Wal-Mart, yes Wal-Mart. Two days in a row!  We bought a bottle of cheap Wal-Mart gin and headed back to the room.


We were outrunning the rain, when somewhere in Iowa, Rose's spare eyeglasses, flew out of the bag.  We saw the open zipper in the gas station.  Ah-ha! So that was why those truckers were honking!  We crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois, and later, left-laned it through the south end of Chicago, from Joliet to Gary.  Lost an hour in Indiana and got off the turnpike at exit 13 in Ohio: Montpelier.  Exit Thirteen. There was a NASCAR party going on at the Ramada.  For each drink you bought, you got a door prize ticket.  We had a lot of tickets and won most of the prizes.  We wound up giving them all away to our new friends.


The Ohio Turnpike:  Sunday drivers take over the road with van loads of nose pickers heading for Sandusky, and truckers try to pass each other going 1 mph faster.  And when the two lanes close down to one, the truckers form a rolling blockade in western Pennsylvania, at two mph, creating a stop and go backup, and forcing me, with my air-cooled engine, to split lanes, and they try to squeeze me, and fuck you, I go between them. It was a little tight, and kind of scary. So when I blasted between the semis, I jammed, I put the hammer down 90 mph, and then some, open road, wide fucken open…So I was real glad to get off I 80. Them truckers must have got on the radio, because when I was in the gas station, filling my tank, a state trooper pulled in, got out of his car, looked me over, shook his head, and got back in and drove away. He shook his head. I was filling my tank, chatting to some girl, giving out stickers. Pennsylvania route 66, and heading north through the Allegheny National Forest,  we picked up route 6, east, in Kane.  It being Sunday, we stopped for a burger and some brews, at a place with a parking lot full of bikes, all with traveling bags strapped on.  Lots of folks there traveling on the road from NJ, WV, OH, PA, and more.  Good burgers, good folks, good prices.  The name of the place was Lantz Corners Getaway, and they even have rooms if you want to spend the night.  But it was still early, so we rode east on 6, another two hours, and got a room in Wellsboro, where we found another biker bar, cheap beer, and a pool table.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

519 to Buttzville

519 is a road, mostly smooth, curvy, two lane blacktop. At the New York state line, I followed her down. It’s cow country, sheep; 20 mile per hour turns that sneak right up, a narrow tunnel, and there’s Vernon, and Hope. All the way to Buttzville; so named because, at one time, it was the butt watching capital of America. Butts reigned supreme. Not so much anymore. But there was a nicely packed butt in skin tight camo, right in Hot Dog Johnny’s. So I ate lunch: two dogs, mustard, pickles, and kraut with a big cup of buttermilk. That’s the special. And I gassed up and headed north on 519, all the way to the state line, with a song in my head, from Bob Seger: She's totally committed, to major independence But she's a lady through and through She gives them quite a battle, all that they can handle She'll bruise some, she'll hurt some too But oh, they love to watch her strut…Bob Seger

Route 32 Walt's Speedometer

  It was late afternoon in Albany, NY. I was riding the four speed Evo; Levi had his Sporty; both Mike and Walt were riding clean Shovels. The plan was this: we were gonna run south down route 32, make a few miles, then maybe stop at some juke joint or tavern, but closer to home. Once we got out of the city, the road opened up, and the throttle hands got looser. We were doing maybe 60 mph, in a tight pack of four, and we'd roll up behind some sedan doing 55, and most times, with plenty of room to pass, we'd give 'em a little gas, and just blast right on by. But each time we did that, we'd gain a little speed, and pretty soon we were kind of hammering down the highway, maybe 70 or 75. And I could see in my mirror, Walt was dropping back. He'll catch up, I'm thinkin', he's probably just not used to that kind of riding. So anyway, I'm watching Walt in the mirror, and he's back there maybe 50 yards…then I look again, he's still with us, but maybe

Fifteen Dollar Piston

That's Paul Riding My Old Ironhead With The Fifteen Dollar Piston Blasting over the mountain, I was giving her the gas,  full throttle, right against the stop, passing all the cars. That's when I heard the bang. BANG . Sounded like a 12 gauge , and the Ironhead starts losing power. Cars that I passed, start to pass me. And I notice that she’s smoking some. Well, something ain’t right; I’m turning around, I'm heading for home… And by the time I get home…I’m limping, mostly running on one cylinder. FUCK! I think that was the word out of my mouth. And I’m laying down serious smoke . The trouble was the front jug. Front one is easy to take off, so I pull off the head, and loosen the cylinder, start to slide her up over the piston. And here, is where I actually showed a lick of sense: Before I pull the jug all the way over the piston, I put a clean rag around the connecting rod, under the piston, to prevent broken metal from falling off the piston, into the crankcas